Une Canadienne Errante

That's me! Just another wandering Canadian, moving around the globe, always looking for my next adventure and my next destination! I started this blog because, before I made the decision to move to Mongolia, I wanted to see what my new city would look like, but all I could find when I searched for images of Mongolia were landscape images. I had no clue what Ulaanbaatar looked like right up until the day I landed. This blog was born so maybe other people might have a better sense of what Ulaanbaatar looks like, if they want or need to know. I've been an expatriate in Ulaanbaatar since September, but before that, I lived in Korea, Kuwait, and France. I'm considering moving to Myanmar in June-- I'll keep you posted. I'm kind of a homebody and a loner, but I also like to walk around a lot, which provides plenty of opportunities for pictures and observations. Being a loner, I rarely share my observations with others, but I'll share some here. I never proofread and rarely edit, so sorry in advance for all the typoes that are likely to sneak their way into this blog.

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Butchers #2

If you read my post which immediately precedes this one, you would know about my childhood and my stance on meat-packing and butchers.  You would remember that I don't find it inhumane to slaughter animals (even though I do hardly eat any meat at all these days, but that has nothing to do with a moral dilemma), and that I kind of find it fascninating to stand amidst the butcher shops in a foreign country, even if I can't find the words to explain to them how I'm different from the standard gawping whitey tourist.

Some people might say that they think a cart full of innards and heads is gross, repulsive, revolting, sick.  But me, I find it fascinating.  Like I said in the last post, if it were a cart piled with human heads or kitten heads or puppy heads, I would be outraged and sickened and wouldn't be able to look, but these, these animals, they were bred right from the beginning for this purpose.  They never had any other purpose in life than a trip to the slaughterhouse so someone could have some sustenance.  And of course, as always, this trolley (anything butcher-related, really) fascinates me.  We used to always cut the tongues out of the animals we slaughtered.  Some people liked to use them as fishing bait, and some old-timers liked to boil and slice them to make sandwiches.  But as you can see, here in Mongolia, they do not cut the tongues out of the heads.  Maybe this has something to do with the fact that Mongolians like to boil an animal's head whole, and then cut chunks of meat off of it.  I'm just speculating, but maybe, in that case, just maybe the tongue might be a special treat.

ETA: Just yesterday, I was walking around downtown Ulaanbaatar, and I saw three street dogs stop in turn to sniff at something on the sidewalk.  I got a little closer to see what this something was, and it was none other than an animal skull which had been boiled and picked clean!  Only in Ulaanbaatar can you find animal skulls laying around on the sidewalk and nobody looks twice because they don't see anything abnormal about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment