Une Canadienne Errante

That's me! Just another wandering Canadian, moving around the globe, always looking for my next adventure and my next destination! I started this blog because, before I made the decision to move to Mongolia, I wanted to see what my new city would look like, but all I could find when I searched for images of Mongolia were landscape images. I had no clue what Ulaanbaatar looked like right up until the day I landed. This blog was born so maybe other people might have a better sense of what Ulaanbaatar looks like, if they want or need to know. I've been an expatriate in Ulaanbaatar since September, but before that, I lived in Korea, Kuwait, and France. I'm considering moving to Myanmar in June-- I'll keep you posted. I'm kind of a homebody and a loner, but I also like to walk around a lot, which provides plenty of opportunities for pictures and observations. Being a loner, I rarely share my observations with others, but I'll share some here. I never proofread and rarely edit, so sorry in advance for all the typoes that are likely to sneak their way into this blog.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Does a Body Good?

Lately, I've been craving all kinds of things I can't find in weird foreign countries: Twizzlers, SuperNibs, Doritos (actually, Doritos are usually available in foreign countries, but apparently not in Mongolia), A&W Teen Burgers, Dairy Queen Cheeseburgers and Blizzards, McDonalds Big Macs, mmmmmmm...

But yeah, this is just my mind being extremely cruel to, well, to itself because my mind knows that it can't have those things in Mongolia, yet those are the foods that my mind chooses to crave.  So today, I told my mind that it was stupid and that it should start craving things that I can either find or cook here in Mongolia.  I told my mind, we have butter, flour, and pasta at home.  All we need is some milk and we can make fettucine alfredo (except for, as it turns out, I can't find fettucine noodles, but that's okay, cause I'll just use spaghetti noodles instead).  Then, I decided that it would probably taste really good if we bought some mushrooms and fried them together with some diced onion and added the mushroom/onion mixture to the cream sauce. Mmmmm, now here's a craving I can satisfy.

So, I went to the grocery store to buy some milk.  I have to tell you about milk in Mongolia.  It's got a very high fat percentage.  The first time I bought milk here, I was so focussed on the picture of the cows on the carton (because I was afraid that I would otherwise select yak milk, which, apparently, is a possibility) that I didn't notice that the percentage on the carton said 2.5%.  WTF?  It was like pouring cream over my breakfast cereal.  Waaaaaay too rich for my tastebuds.  So, the next time I was in the dairy section, I took a look to see what I could see, and lo and behold, the milk comes in four different percentages: 3.5%, 3.2%, 2.5%, and 2%, 2% being the lowest it goes.  And what's more, the 2% milk is touted as the diet milk here.  It's got a picture of a slim woman and it says something about it being good for your health/diet.  Oh, and also, as you can see on the bottom corner of the carton, apparently 2% milk is a new concept here in Mongolia.  I bet if a Mongolian ever came to Canada, our skim milk would taste like water to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment