Une Canadienne Errante

That's me! Just another wandering Canadian, moving around the globe, always looking for my next adventure and my next destination! I started this blog because, before I made the decision to move to Mongolia, I wanted to see what my new city would look like, but all I could find when I searched for images of Mongolia were landscape images. I had no clue what Ulaanbaatar looked like right up until the day I landed. This blog was born so maybe other people might have a better sense of what Ulaanbaatar looks like, if they want or need to know. I've been an expatriate in Ulaanbaatar since September, but before that, I lived in Korea, Kuwait, and France. I'm considering moving to Myanmar in June-- I'll keep you posted. I'm kind of a homebody and a loner, but I also like to walk around a lot, which provides plenty of opportunities for pictures and observations. Being a loner, I rarely share my observations with others, but I'll share some here. I never proofread and rarely edit, so sorry in advance for all the typoes that are likely to sneak their way into this blog.

Monday, November 22, 2010

The Three Hills of Misfortune

When I went to see the Three Hills of Misfortune last month, I didn't really know what to expect.  I wasn't even entirely sure whether I was going to see a ballet or an opera, but I was delighted to find that it was a ballet!  I adore the ballet!  I did ballet for twelve years when I was growing up, and I did Ukrainian dance for ten years.  Since there was some overlap in the time I did ballet and the time I did Ukrainian dance, I actually danced for thirteen years.  Now that I'm getting to be an oooooo-la-looold lady, that's just under half my life that I spent dancing, but it's still a pretty significant chunk of my life, particularly considering that I don't remember most of my first three and a half years, but I do remember all the years I spent dancing.  But I digress...

... back to the ballet!  It was incredible!  It was classical ballet, but it managed to make me nostalgic for both ballet and Ukrainian dance at the same time (usually, I only ever miss one or the other, but not usually both at the same time).  It was incredible.  It was beautiful.  It was moving.  It made me want to cry (I sound like a big baby, don't I?), and I'm not usually one to be moved to tears by art or dramatic presentations.  It was just incredible.  The storyline, itself, was little more than a Mongolian adaptation of Romeo and Juliet (from what I could gather-- I was too cheap to buy a programme), but the sets, costumes, and especially the dancing was were all absolutely amazing!  If you ever go to Mongolia and have the opportunity to see this ballet, please do. You won't regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment