Une Canadienne Errante

That's me! Just another wandering Canadian, moving around the globe, always looking for my next adventure and my next destination! I started this blog because, before I made the decision to move to Mongolia, I wanted to see what my new city would look like, but all I could find when I searched for images of Mongolia were landscape images. I had no clue what Ulaanbaatar looked like right up until the day I landed. This blog was born so maybe other people might have a better sense of what Ulaanbaatar looks like, if they want or need to know. I've been an expatriate in Ulaanbaatar since September, but before that, I lived in Korea, Kuwait, and France. I'm considering moving to Myanmar in June-- I'll keep you posted. I'm kind of a homebody and a loner, but I also like to walk around a lot, which provides plenty of opportunities for pictures and observations. Being a loner, I rarely share my observations with others, but I'll share some here. I never proofread and rarely edit, so sorry in advance for all the typoes that are likely to sneak their way into this blog.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Asian Cowboys

I said it on facebook and I got, like, six "likes" for it, but I'm really slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that Mongolians are just a bunch of Asian cowboys.  Everyone has boots on.  I mean /everyone/.  And most people are wearing cowboy boots.  I seriously see people walking around all bow-legged like they just got off of a long horse ride or like a couple of cowboys in a wild west town making their way to gunfight.  Mongolia is the Wild West.  It's just the Wild West of the Far East, y'know what I mean?  The other week, I saw some Mongolian mounties.  I mean, they weren't wearing the mountie red or the ridiculous mountie pants, but they were definitely Mongolian mounties.  They had cowboy boots with spurs and they were wearing cowboy hats and they were on horseback.  Right in the middle of Ulaanbaatar.  I'm not kidding!  Even Canada only brings their mounties out for special occasions like parades and opening ceremonies for big events, but it seemed like a fairly normal occurrance here.  Nobody even batted an eye.  Except for me, and I just looked like the foolish whitey tourist which I kind of am.  Anyway, the day I saw the Mongolian mounties had to be the day I figured "What the hell could happen today that I haven't already seen here?" and left my camera at home.  That's the way it works, amiright?  So, anyway, instead of looking at a picture of Mongolian mounties (which, trust me, would have been pretty cool), you get to look at a picture of a statue of a Mongolian boy (complete with cowboy hat and whip) riding a bucking horse.  It's on Peace Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment