Une Canadienne Errante

That's me! Just another wandering Canadian, moving around the globe, always looking for my next adventure and my next destination! I started this blog because, before I made the decision to move to Mongolia, I wanted to see what my new city would look like, but all I could find when I searched for images of Mongolia were landscape images. I had no clue what Ulaanbaatar looked like right up until the day I landed. This blog was born so maybe other people might have a better sense of what Ulaanbaatar looks like, if they want or need to know. I've been an expatriate in Ulaanbaatar since September, but before that, I lived in Korea, Kuwait, and France. I'm considering moving to Myanmar in June-- I'll keep you posted. I'm kind of a homebody and a loner, but I also like to walk around a lot, which provides plenty of opportunities for pictures and observations. Being a loner, I rarely share my observations with others, but I'll share some here. I never proofread and rarely edit, so sorry in advance for all the typoes that are likely to sneak their way into this blog.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Buildings in Ulaanbaatar

When I was deciding to move to Mongolia, of course I promptly bought my Bible, Lonely Planet, and I was super excited to see some pictures of what the place actually looked like, but in fact, Lonely Planet only had pictures of the countryside and, while Mongolia's countryside looks beautiful and everything, I get tired of looking at even my own landscape pictures, let alone countless photographs of someone else's landscape pictures.  I tried looking up in the LP for a description of architecture in Mongolia, but there was not much there, maybe a few lines to say that many of the old monasteries had been destroyed during Stalin's purges and that the architecture here was "boring" (my interpretation, not LP's actual words).  One of the building was described as "salmon-pinkish", which, now that I've seen it, is indeed salmon pinkish in colour, but it's much more than that.  It's got big columns (Corinthian? Doric? Ionic?  I'll have to take a closer look next time) and big wooden doors, two big concrete lions, and I think it's a genuinely interesting building to look at, despite its unfortunate colour (there are at least three salmon pinkish buildings in Ulaanbaatar-- maybe they got a big discount on stucco that colour).  Other building features which have caught my eye are the mosaics you will see on the sides of some very old communist-era apartment buildings, like the one in this picture.






No comments:

Post a Comment